The competition is open to women entrepreneurs of emerging countries who have created a business plan, which fulfills the eligibility and evaluation criteria.
- Receive feedback and support in writing your business plan
- Access our coaching program
- Win a business trip for training, b2b and investor meetings
- Get access to a network of more than 50,000 like-minded entrepreneurs, coaches and investors
- Compete for a €5,000 prize
The 5 Finalists of 2014
Yuli Torres - Sumaq Qara
Startup from Peru in textile production
Sumaq Qara produces textiles embroidered with applications in high-quality leather, competitive in the international market. The company supports women victims of terrorism, domestic and sexual violence, to find markets for their handmade products like bags, cushions, belts and decorative accessories.
Suzana Moreira - moWoza
Startup from South Africa in mobile technology & Internet services
moWoza is a mobile phone shopping channel aimed at the Bottom of the Pyramid, low income cross-border migrant living away from home, and for the cross-border shopper. Through strategic partnerships across countries moWoza is able to ensure that beneficiaries can access goods at competitive prices.
Ana Barrera - Aflore
Business from Colombia in personal credit institutions
Aflore addresses a white space in consumer financial services for the underbanked in Latin America, a market of 12.7 million people by creating a new channel leveraging on existing trust networks. Aflore distributes loans and insurance products through a network of informal financial advisors and in that way, Aflore is able to engage with customers that current financial institutions are not addressing, through better information for risk assessment while keeping operational costs low.
Claudia Esparza - Nanas y Amas
Startup from Peru in job services
Nanas & Amas is a company that promotes decent work for domestic workers. Its clients are people with high incomes that can pay good wages to a efficient workers. Nanas & Amas is one of the most recognized companies in its industry. Currently they have over 50,000 followers on Facebook. The company has been in the market for 5 years and has launched a Corporate Social Responsibility Project.
Dora Karani - Garden City
Business from Burundi in agriculture & food
Garden City is an agri-business company that has been growing mushrooms for the past seven years in the City of Bujumbura. The philosophy of the business is to provide good quality mushrooms to the population of Burundi at first and for export in general at a good quality/price ratio. Garden City's products have been promoted through an awareness campaign (to sensitize the population on the health benefits of consuming mushrooms) and an effective distribution system. The sales have increased over the years and promise to soar in the years to come. Garden City is planning to expand its business so as to continue meeting the rising demand.
Before you submit your plan:
1. March 1st, 2014: Deadline for the coaching program. Make sure your online application is submitted & that you selected Yes, I want a coach.
2. NEW DEADLINE: July 6st, 2014: Deadline for full business plans. You must submit your full business and financial plan (see the Toolkit for templates). If you did not apply before the 1st of March, you can apply now as long as you submit all the information required: application & business and financial plan.
Need help when applying? Contact us at email@example.com
After you submit your plan:
- July- August 2014: Jury process
- September 12th, 2014: 5 finalists are announced
- November 21st, 2014: Women in Business Challenge Award Ceremony
Whether or not you become a finalist, all high quality business plans are eligible for the BiD Network Investor Matchmaking Services.
To participate in this competition, women entrepreneurs should submit a business plan online for a for-profit business.
They should have a financial need of US$10,000 to US$1,000,000 over the next three years.
Their business should have a positive social and/or environmental impact.
The business should be located or have impact in an emerging market.